With so many books to choose from kids can make a mess with the Cat in the Hat, dance around with the Fox in Sox, hear a Who with Horton, help the Grinch see the error of his ways, or listen to Sam I Am’s friend complain about his dish of green eggs and ham!
Kids love the silly rhymes in Dr. Seuss stories! So why not download our FREE word family game for a fun learning activity at home. The game helps children learn families of words which allows them to read familiar patterns of letters quickly and fluently.
Download our FREE The Cat in The Hat Word Family Game HERE!
The aim of the game is to create word family “hats” that look like The Cat in the Hat’s hat!
Let’s get ready to play…
- Download The Cat in The Hat Word Family Game.
- Print the PDF in colour, single sided.
- Cut out all the words. Each page includes one hat brim and eight hat pieces in red and white. (Optional step: laminate to make the paper sturdier).
- Line the hat brims out.
- Scattered the rest of the white and red hat pieces on the floor.
- Encourage your children to find the right family home for each hat piece, building up from the hat brim. For example, the hat brim containing ‘ab’ you would build a hat from the words, cab, crab, dab, drab, grab, lab, nab and tab.
- Once the hat is complete (8 words per hat) encourage your children to say all the words under the brim to reinforce their learning.
- Modifications: For younger children you can adjust the game to build fewer hats. For older children you can split into teams and race to build hats or set a timer and see how many hats they can build in two minutes.